JULY 2023 LVJBS Meeting Minutes
Date: July 11, 2023
Meeting Start: 7:05 PM
Location: Rocky’s Bar & Grill
Attendees: Johnnie T., Paige T., Jessica G., Shannon S., Greg S., Brett R., Dan R., Scott T., Sherry R.
Item 1: President’s Report (Johnnie): “So….It’s time!”
A. We have been looking into finding Corporate Sponsors who like supporting local non-profits for their tax purposes so have been drafting a Sponsor-Brochure. It is being finalized & has been given to Adam Peiken for some visual graphic help. We were able to use David DeGroot’s fabulous desert graphics.
B. Recently, JT was on the KUNV 91.5 FM station during their monthly ‘National Non-Profit Fundraising Day’ radio show where non-profits get to share information about themselves and get matched donations ‘if’ listeners want to support their cause. Ashton Ridley, from KUNV, has emailed back and wants to reconnect in the fall. We are hoping to work with George Lyons to see if we can purchase a possible ad to play in his weekly Lyons Den radio show and/or possibly the later Rock Avenue show. More info and the airdates will be selected soon.
C. We will be planning with Jeremy @ JamminOn to work on a future collaboration by having a local band or two play for a donation/door cover charge to help raise some funds, while supporting his great store. (JamminOn is on-board for the future ‘Howie Green’s Music Collection Silent Auction’ event. More details/date TBD and hoping for late summer/early fall depending on temps for the outdoor gig.)
D. Events have been posted on our Facebook and our Website for the upcoming Catfish John, TheeMessArounds, and MegaScopes CD Release event.
E. Been chatting with Michelle Harris at the Pioneer Saloon. They have welcomed us to choose a date in August for one of their 12 PM- 4 PM events where a ‘specialty drink’ will be advertised and those who purchase it, will help raise monies for the LVJBS—a portion of the drink’s proceeds will come back to the LVJBS. (Our Mayor, Shannon, will look into/listen to the two band options: Sat., Aug. 5th: High Blue Cactus or Sun., Aug. 6th: Sonic Shakers & see which band would gather more interest to our music fans.) More info TBA.
Item 2: Vice President’s Report & PRODUCTION Report (Greg):
- A. The mentioned Golf Tournament is looking into Sept./Oct. dates and looking into weekdays, rather than weekends to help keep it an ‘under $100’ event ($50-$65 golf range with additional for raffles/beverages). Still collaborating with Freddy @ Angel Park who supports this idea of 4 groups of 4 golfers. Local sponsors/ads at each hole with percentages of the sign-ups going back to the LVJBS. They have a small P.A. system/stage area, which could host a small band (i.e. Pitchfork), or performer/duo. Hoping we can get some donations for raffles and possible prize monies that could be shared. The goal is that music fans/golfers can get together with other music fans/golfers to have some fun. More details TBD.
- B. Still hoping to get the Facebook link for the ‘Virtual Tip Jar’ created to help gain some extra funds for those who were unable to throw some monies in during our reunion event.
- C. Andrew Cortney, at TheSpaceLV made contact with SPAFFORD in hopes they can be booked, but Spafford’s calendar is book pretty far in advance, so we will have to look into a future date with them.
- D. Recently connected Max A. with CUBENSIS’ team. (FYI)
- E. Checked out the new BEVERLY THEATER (a new local venue, downtown on 6th Street) which was donated by it’s former owner to the city of Las Vegas in the hopes that local, live events would take place with no cover charges over $10. (Jimmy & Greg recently checked out a NOLA performer, IceMan Special). Mention of a possible LVJBS Holiday Party (maybe with Catfish John) to be held there if the space could be rented out for our event for either dates of Saturdays Dec. 2nd or 9th. More info TBD.
Item 3: Treasurer’s Report (Paige):
- A. The PEF Scholarship (Public Education Foundation) sent their ‘Impact & Recognition’ book that recognizes the LVJBS and the given Peter J. Porter Scholarship recipients. (Jessica to add photos of the needed pages to the LVJBS Team page for all to see.)
- B. Paige &/or Jessica going to follow through with the box of albums from Howie Green’s Collection and see what the record stores would want to buy and those that we will use for the future ‘Silent Auction’ before the next meeting.
- C. An invoice for SoundMan Dan’s LVJBS Reunion work was received and a check for $100 was given.
Item 4: Secretary’s Report (Jessica):
- A. Went by our Adopt-A-Highway sign, which is once again present, but still awaiting the LVJBS-Las Vegas Jam Band Society addition to it. We will do our next clean-up event in September.
Item 5: Mayor’s Report (Shannon):
A. Will be getting our additional cards/advertisements for the LVJBS at future summertime events.
B. Still looking into the 3-Degree Guarantee, which works with local non-profits to raise money when the weather forecast is out of the 3-degree forecasted range. Shannon to contact News3 with the needed paperwork/LVJBS info to get this started.
C. COLOR: Tangerine
Item 6: Open Floor (all):
*JT had contact with an old Linkedin connection who might be able to help with fundraising from random organizations that give monies to those with musical endeavors. More info TBD.
*Welcome to Scott Tillotson (of Catfish John) who wanted to welcome the LVJBS to assist with their upcoming Jerry-Days Between event on August 5th. We are hoping to get an LVJBS table, do a 50/50 Raffle, and help the band in getting various vendors who would like to set up in the courtyard of the SandDollar LV that evening. (Ideas: JamminOn, Body Painters, HoolaHoop dancers, etc.)
*Brett R. mentioned speaking with Aaron at Guitar Center who spoke of SaddleNSpurs’ Monday night open-mic nights. Check it out!
UPCOMING (LVJBS & non-LVJBS) EVENTS:
*July 13th—Stephen Marley w/ Hirie & Arise Roots @ Virgin Theater
*July 15th—Catfish John @ SandDollar LV
*July 17th—Swayze Crazy & Friends @ SandDollar LV
*July 21st—Thee MessArounds & Ian Crawford & Cosmic Myles @ SandDollar LV
*July 21st—The Green @ BBLV
*July 22nd—Headz or Tailz @ The HideAway
*July 22nd—MegaScopes CD Release Party @ Fergusons Downtown
*July 22nd—The Moanin’ Blacksnakes (SDLV’s 48th Anniversary Event) @SandDollar LV
*July 28th & 30th--The Smashing Pumpkins @ The Chelsea Theater
*August 2nd—Little Feat & Dirty Dozen Brass Band @ The Smith Center
*August 2nd—Stoney Curtis @ SandDollar LV
*August 4th-- Joe Bonamassa @ The Chelsea
*August 5th—Catfish John ‘Days Between’ event @ SandDollar LV
*August 12th—Brown Chicken Brown Cow @ SaddlesNSpurs
*August 12th—Greta Van Fleet @ T*Mobile Arena
*August 12th—Beck & Phoenix @ Mandalay Bay Events Center
*August 12th—Strangelove @ Santa Fe Station
*August 13th—Clutch @ House of Blues
*August 18th-- Peter Frampton @ The Pearl
*August 18th—Australian Pink Floyd @ Virgin Theater
Meeting adjourned: 8:00 PM
Next Meeting: Tuesday, August 1st @ 7 PM
Location: Crown & Anchor (1350 E. Tropicana Ave.)