SEPTEMBER 2022 LVJBS Meeting Minutes
Date: September 6, 2022
Meeting Start: 7:08 PM
Location: Rocky’s Bar & Grill
Attendees: Johnnie T., Paige T., Jessica G., Greg S., Adam P., Dan R., Ramon F., Jeffrey T.
Item 1: President’s Report (Johnnie):
“Let’s get going!”
- Thank you to everyone, our Volunteers & our Officers, for their service so far this year! J 2023 Officers Nominations will be in October, with November being the ‘acceptance/denial’ of those Nominations, & December being the Elections for the upcoming year’s offices: President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, & Mayor.
- Our 2nd Sunday events at SaddlesN’Spurs (with an open jam) will continue this month, September (9/11 with RED EYE GIN) & next month, October 9th (band TBD).
- (The November & December events will not be an LVJBS collaboration due to the Tecopa Takeover weekend & the December Holidays.) *Due to the amount of beverages provided from the bartenders, the bands will no longer have ‘provided’ drinks. (Suggestion: The bar might want to provide a couple of ‘raffle-like’ tickets to the band members to help control the comps.)
- The TECOPA TAKEOVER will be on Friday 11/11 through Sunday, 11/13. This event will be $100 for the weekend’s events. We will be working with the Bichsel’s (Dave & Megan) to ensure the Volunteer list is filled (Security/Gate Staff/Bracelets, etc.) The helpful Google-Sheet time-slot lists were helpful in the past.
- No reply yet from Goodwill via email attempt regarding instrument donations.
- SHAKEY FEELIN’ is booked at the SandDollar Plaza for Sept. 23rd.
- Looking at various, new venues across town. DIVERSION AMUSEMENTS (5321 Cameron St., near Hacienda) is a rental-events space & is one that may work for our upcoming Hot Buttered Rum/Holiday event. More details & band confirmation TBA. (Other thoughts: Garage Mahal or The Space LV)
- Sent a message to one of our musician-pals, Tom Wood, in regards to a confusing Facebook page called Las Vegas Jam Band Society. Some LVJBS inquiries have joined the conflicting page. LVJBS is a recognized non-profit so we are asking for the other page to kindly name edit.
- Laurie Green, Howie’s widow, reached out regarding the plethora of albums, CD’s, posters, music equipment, & memorabilia that she wants to donate our way at September’s end. The Officers will get together to pick up the many boxes and better organize them into possible raffles/silent auctions, etc. to help raise funds for our Scholarship fund. More details TBA.
Item 2: Vice President’s Report (Adam):
- Nothing new to report.
- There is an upcoming ‘Nirvana’ tribute band (Smells Like Nirvana) that will be at The SpaceLV on Oct. 16th ($20 in case anyone’s interested. They are great!)
Item 3: Treasurer’s Report (Paige)
- A. We will provide $1k to the Tecopa Takeover event.
- B. Discussed the recent updates/research on the discussed ‘Las Vegas Jam Band Society Memorial Tree’ $500 to designate & plant our own ‘tree’ at a Las Vegas park of our choice. We will use some of the ‘Howie Green’ raised funds to help with the memorial. The tree will have a provided name plate/plaque:
Las Vegas Jam Band Society’s Memorial Tree
In Honor of our Family & Friends
- C. We will split the funds earned from the ‘Green’ donation with 10% of funds to the LVJBS, $500 to the Memorial tree, & the rest to the Scholarship fund.
- D. We will be providing a $250 VISA Gift Card or Delta Airline Gift Card to our former LVJBS Officer, Dan. R., in memory of his late wife, Donna.
- E. PAY YOUR DUES! J
Item 4: Secretary’s Report (Jessica)
- A. Reminded our Production Team to make contact with Phil Kotler, the Entertainment & Events Manager at SQUARE BAR (Maryland Pkwy, near Karen—Commercial Center). They have a small stage area with live music on Friday nights, which show on their bar TVs overhead, as well. Their calendar is booked through August and sounded open to working with the LVJBS for future dates. (JT or Greg to make further contact via email: email@example.com or business phone: (702) 234-8963.)
- B. Contacted the GAMBIT --Henderson venue (the old E-String Bar & Grill) as requested. The booking person, Assistant Manager, doesn’t think going beyond their ‘fixed menu, Jazz-style events will work out.
- C. REMINDER: The next LVJBS ADOPT-A-HIGHWAY after summer, clean-up will be on SUNDAY, 9/11 from 9AM-11AM. Please plan on joining us to help clean-up our lake’s roadside!
Item 5: Mayor’s Report (Greg)
· A. Color: SAPPHIRE BLUE
Item 6: Production Report (Greg):
· A. Discussed more of the Legends Lounge/Grateful Family Reunion (which we thought could be in Sept./Oct. might work better in the Springtime). Update: Thoughts are to move it to the Spring due to Tecopa. April 8th (Easter weekend) or the following April 15th, prior to the SoCal ‘Skull & Roses’ festival the weekend of April 19-23. More contact with Cubensis and Catfish John will happen soon.
· B. BOOTJUICE made contact with us due to them being near Las Vegas in November. (They will be at the Tecopa Takeover, so may not have known that we are connected with that.) Greg suggested they make contact with The SandDollar Lounge.
- Welcome Jeffrey Trower! The TECOPA TAKEOVER is nearing (Nov. 11-13) & JFree brought up his annual Raffle-fun once again! Please look for the upcoming Volunteer list & let him know of any donations for the Raffle.
- JFree also mentioned a VARIETY-SHOW-type-SIDE-STAGE event (at Tecopa) where it would be an interactive, fun display of talents (e.g. jugglers, comedians, dancers, etc.) Please continue to spread the word of that fun, connecting Jfree with those interested artists. J
- Ramon has continually been in touch with Derrick, the local manager for HOT BUTTERED RUM. We need to confirm the venue location and the confirmed 12/18 date that was shared last month. Due to the later date in December, the Officers mentioned it possibly being a daytime event in the case that it’s outdoors (2PM-5PM-ish). We want to see if any of the band’s ‘requests’ can possibly be ‘discounted’ to our non-profit (Band lodging, Meal & Beverage requests, Porta-potty rentals depending on the venue, heat lamps, etc.)
- ·Discussed a future meeting location at the German-American Social Club in N. Las Vegas, 1110 E Lake Mead Blvd, North Las Vegas, NV 89030. They do a Tuesday-Bluesday event (Monk & the Po’ Boys participate on the 4th Tuesday of each month, not the first Tuesday, like our meeting dates.)
UPCOMING (LVJBS & non-LVJBS) EVENTS:
*Sept. 6th—BIGFOOT COUNTY @ SandDollar Plaza
*Sept. 9th—BrownChicken BrownCow (w/ Swayze Crayze) @ The Tavern
*Sept. 10th—RAYFORD BROS. @ SandDollar Plaza
*Sept. 10th—METALACHI @ Downtown Container Park
*Sept. 11th—RED EYE GIN @ SaddlesNSpurs
*Sept. 13th—KANSAS @ The Smith Center
*Sept. 15th—Nine Inch Nails @ Zappos, Planet Hollywood
*Sept. 16th—Jimmy Carpenter’s Album Release Party @ SandDollar LV
*Sept. 23rd—SHAKEY FEELIN’ @ SandDollar Plaza
*Sept. 24th—UB40 @ Sunset Station Outdoor Ampitheater
*Sept. 24th—CATFISH JOHN @ GoldMine Tavern
*Sept. 25th—The StoryTellers @ Pioneer Saloon
*Sept. 29th: KHRUANGBIN w/ Genesis Owusu @ BBLV
*Oct. 4th—APOCALYPTICA @ BBLV
*Oct. 10th—GWAR @ BBLV
*Oct. 28th—FOALS @ BBLV
*Nov. 12th—AwolNation @ BBLV
*Nov. 20th—Big Head Todd & The Monsters @ BBLV
Meeting adjourned: 8:29 PM
Next Meeting: Tuesday, October 4th @ 7 PM.
Location: Rocky’s Bar & Grill