MARCH 2022 LVJBS Meeting Minutes
Date: March 1, 2022
Meeting Start: 7:00 PM
Location: Rocky’s Bar & Grill
Attendees: Johnnie T, Adam P., Paige T., Jessica G., Greg S.
Item 1: President’s Report (Johnnie):
“Okay—Let’s get this party started!”
Follow-up from last month:
*JT & Paige (&/or Jessica) still plan to check ROSIE’S SALOON & CAFÉ (formerly Rosie’s Den) to see what it has to offer the LVJBS....*off the US93, in White Hills, AZ, recently being remodeled by Terribles’ Casino group. They have a stage area and are welcoming to have us work with them. (More details TBA)
*Recently met the Marketing/Communications Director for GoodWill. She mentioned the many donated instruments and other available items that might be helpful for our Scholarship/Donation focus. (Our Members, Basia & Steve, mentioned recently purchasing a Clarinet on the ‘Goodwill’ online auction, through their ‘musical instrument’ section.)
*We decided to cancel our participation with SaddleNSpurs for the 2nd Sunday, in April, event due to the conflicting CA Skull & Roses festival. We want to ensure the LVJBS members are representing/attending these Sunday events. Future event TBD. (Sending some interested Bands/Musicians names their way!)
*To help get our LVJBS names out/possible donations from the community, we looked into a ‘Bulk-Mailer’ flyer that is distributed through various zip codes.
*Our website will be updated and some links added for the various venues and businesses that we work with. Removal of previous businesses that are no longer associated with the LVJBS. (Jessica & Paige to get list to JT to make the needed edits.)
*We have a collaboration with the BBLV and a few other venues to help advertise in exchange for comp-tickets for our members. Greg contacted Virgin Hotels to see about us possibly working with them, as well.
*The Lion Habitat ‘April Friends & Family’ registration link has about 15-20 listed. We will continue to advertise the event, in hopes to reach the needed 30 paid for the ‘discount’ offer.
Item 2: Vice President’s Report (Adam)
*Will contact Mark Shunock regarding the 15-20 ‘grants’ that The Space supposedly received and see what we can help distribute.
Item 3: Treasurer’s Report (Paige)
· A. Review of balances. Monies in both checking and savings (Scholarship fund money)
· B. The Payment ($250) to Chuck Garvey (moe.) was cashed/received & glad to hear He’s doing better each day!
· C. Received a $50 check from TISBEST.org in regards to some recently purchased Gift Cards that gave back to a non-profit.
· D. Received a 1099-NEC form due to the Mark Shunock collaboration of funds—non-profit to non-profit. This won’t affect our tax reports.
· E. PAY YOUR DUES! J
Item 4: Secretary’s Report (Jessica)
· A. REMINDER of the APRIL ‘Friends & Family Event” will be to the LION HABITAT in West Henderson. We had asked for a non-profit group discount & have been offered a $5 savings per ticket, if 30 tickets are purchased (They will be $20/ea. if 30 tickets (for ages 15 and up) aren’t sold.) Each adult ticket allows a child, under the age of 14 free admission. This event will be on Saturday, April 2nd, from 11am-3pm. Be on the lookout for a Facebook Event with the information and a WildApricot sign-up/RSVP. Tell your friends & bring your family!
· B. A musician from SoCal, Kenny Metcalf, stars as Elton John, in a tribute performance of “Elton, The Early Years” and would like to play a Las Vegas event. (Info will be sent to JT to connect TheSpace with him for a possible future event.)
Item 5: Mayor’s Report (Greg)
· A. Color: SUNFLOWER YELLOW & UKRANIAN BLUE
· B. Our first Terror Alert level (since 2003) has been raised to DefCon3. Sending peace to the Ukraine!
Item 6: Production Report (Greg via text at VGK game)
· A. TERRAPIN FLYER is looking for a Tuesday, 4/26 venue. We sent their info to the SandDollar, yet their weeknight shows are booked through May. This 4/26 date is now booked in Phoenix.
· B. Jesse Dunn of Deadwinter Carpenters contacted us in regards to a new collaboration EXTRA GOLD (cosmic country-rock: Dead/Allman Bros.) & were interested in Friday, July 8th. Greg contacted the SandDollar who already has every weekend booked through June.
· C. SHAKEY FEELIN’ is interested in coming back to Las Vegas. We are trying to figure out a good date and a location since the SandDollar is booked and a Sunday night show isn’t always the best for local music. More info TBD.
Item 7: COMMITTEE REPORTS
· A. BY-LAW Committee: The updated 2022 LVJBS By-laws have been created. The final document will be posted on WildApricot, under the ‘NEWS’ tab, where the ‘Minutes’ are posted.
· B. FUNDRAISING Committee: JT is getting the revised letter to Jessica/Paige to proofread once again and add to letterhead. This will be a LVJBS/Band agreement contract for bands to read and sign-off on, to ensure all rules for the hired bands are followed. More details TBA.
· Greg is hoping to arrange a GOLF OUTING at Angel Park in the Spring. More info TBD.
· An April or May Adopt-a-Highway clean-up will be planned soon. Possibly Sunday, 4/24 or Sunday, 5/22. Date to be confirmed soon.
UPCOMING (LVJBS & non-LVJBS) EVENTS:
*March 11: John Mayer @ MGM Grand
*March 11-13: Widespread Panic @ Virgin Theater
*March 17: TheeMessArounds @ The SandDollar
*March 25: Clutch @ BBLV
*March 26: Catfish John @ The SandDollar
*March 26: Incubus @ Virgin Theater
*April 3: AltJ & Portugal the Man @ Virgin Theater
*April 14: MEUTE @ BBLV
*April 15th: Billy Strings @ BBLV
*April 15/16: The StoryTellers @ Gilley’s (Treasure Island)
*April 22: (online event) LETTUCE
*April 30: Kansas @ The Smith Center
*April 30: BillyBob Thornton & the Box Masers @ Santa Fe Station
*April 30: Gin Blossoms @ GVR Ampitheater
*May 6: Los Lobos @ Boulder Station
*May 8: The Cult @ HOB
*May 19: Michael Franti & Spearhead @ BBLV
*May 20: The Shmarties (Pink Floyd tribute) @ The SandDollar
Meeting adjourned: 8:00 PM
Next Meeting: Tuesday, April 5th @ 7 PM.
Location: PKWY Tavern
(511 Dale Rd./South LV Blvd., right off St. Rose Parkway & the I-15)